MTH HO Bi-Polar Electric Locomotives
Dubbed the 'silent locomotive', General Electric's E-2 Bi-Polar ushered in a new dawn of electrification for Milwaukee Road, in 1919. While the engine produced 3,200hp and 1,00 volts to each of its traction motors, the Bi-Polar made no whine or gear tooth growl. At 76' in length and weighing 265 tons, the Bi-Polar would come to revolutionize the industry. Briefly tabbed as 'the mightiest electric locomotives in the world', the EM-2 Bi-Polar arrived at Milwaukee Road in December of 1919. Numbered 10250-10254 these engines were designed to pull any normal passenger train in the railroads roster, singly, and were therefore built without multiple-unit controls. At the staggering cost of $200,000 an engine, many railroads found it too expensive to own an entire fleet of Bi-Polar's. Milwaukee Road however, closely identified with the Bi-Polar, making the engine the backbone of the railroads passenger service, powering the trains over the railroads mountainous western routes. The Bi-Polar's speed was also something of note, as mentioned in Noel T. Holley's The Milwaukee Electrics, Ralph Edwards reminisced about the engines, stating, "They were quick. If you reached out and grabbed a handful of notches, those babies would get right out and move. The acceleration was much quicker than a diesel and much quicker than E22 and E23. They moved out in a hurry, and they were absolutely silent".